nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Syntax highlighting not there?

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Syntax highlighting not there?
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 20:29:09 -0500

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 05:41:11PM -0500, frank ernest wrote:
> >> I upgraded my system from opensuse 12.3 to 13.1 recently and
> >> accidetally >> erased my nanorc C highlighting file. It its niether
> >> the first nor the last >> file I will accidanally delete. >> I said
> >> to myself, "Well the solution is trivial, just get the nano alpha
> >> were not >> there. >> Why is it not there? > > Because the
> >> maintainer is very busy. > >> Please write me back and tell me
> >> what's up. > > You can still find your email with the attached
> >> highlighting changes here: > >
> >> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2013-12/msg00000.html
> >> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2013-12/msg00000.html&lang=en
> >> that none > of the people who have commit access to the nano source
> >> repository > have had the time to review your changes. This kind of
> >> thing stinks, > and may be at some point they can bring in new
> >> people to help out with > maintenance, but that's just how open
> >> source software works, when it's > being maintained by people in
> >> their spare time. > > Cheers, > > Dirkjan Whew, (wipes brow) Here I
> >> thought that there was something wrong with me/my code. If I wanted
> >> to help the development of nano what do you recommend? Yea, I know.

Hello frank,

You're already doing a lot of it (submitting patches).  We
definitely do have a lot of code bugs (see
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=nano) as well as documentation
and internationalization issues, and as time allows we'll try to get to
all fixes folks proposed.

The best thing to do is get familiar with Savannah and get an account if
you don't have one.  If you want to say 'whats up with my patch homies'
it's best to be able to point at a Savannah bug or patch URL (though I'm
behind on those as well).

If you are interested in contributing at a code level, I'd read
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/howto/other-formats/pdf/NCURSES-Programming-HOWTO.pdf

Thank you for contributing!

> >> The answers pretty big but I don't quite expect that everyone will
> >> say as soon as I volunteer "Let's let him have rwx access to the
> >> whole repo! Yay!" And if I decide to just help with anything else
> >> it may take time to look over my changes. There is also the very
> >> real possibility that, should the people with write access to the
> >> repo, if behind enough, will be unable to submit what I and others
> >> have fixed fast enough and soon everyone will be fixing things on
> >> top of each other. I have not yet tried to use ncurses but I have
> >> learned C programming (though I'm probably not an expert yet.) And
> >> I absolutely love extended regular expressions. I have such success
> >> with them! And to think that people find them difficult! It is true
> >> though, that an increase of power might be desirable. For instance,
> >> match anything without the word "include" cannot be easily
> >> expressed as far as I know though perhaps like this '[^(include)]'
> >> (Whether or not that is correct is unclear to me.) Thanks, David

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

v4sw7CUPYhw5ln6pr5Pck4ma7u7Lw0m6g/l7DUi5e6t5Ab6THen7g6Ma29s5r3p-4 hackerkey.com