nano-devel

[Nano-devel] searching for certain UTF8 characters also finds ghosts

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] searching for certain UTF8 characters also finds ghosts
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 15:02:21 +0100

Hi all,

To reproduce, start nano in a UTF8 locale and type or paste
the following string into an empty buffer:

Then type  ^W  »  <Enter>.  Then keep typing M-W and see
how it finds six "occurrences" of » in that line: three
on the correct locations, and three just after them, as
if seeing an afterimage of the thing.

Strangely this happens only for characters in the range
U+00A0 to U+00BF, which baffles me.  (I've tested it with
¡, ©, «, ³, » -- they all get doubly found -- but also
with Á, Â, –, ×, ŝ, ŭ, and ñ -- they all are found once.)

Anyway, the attached patch fixes the issue for me,
but I'm pretty sure this isn't a complete fix and
might create other issues.  So please test.

(This problem was first reported in another form in
  https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?42175 .)

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Same, same, but different...