nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] searching for regexes containing ^ or $

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] searching for regexes containing ^ or $
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 11:31:05 +0200

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015, at 12:45, Benno Schulenberg wrote:

> eeeee
> $$$$$
>
> (each five characters followed by <Enter>).  Then do:
>
> ^W  M-R  e+$  <Enter>
>
> Then do M-W repeatedly -- it will find the string five times.
> [...]
>
> In vim, searching for e\+$ will find just one occurrence.
> In geany too.  In emacs I can't figure out how to search
> normally for a regexp; Ctrl+Alt+S seems to find it just once.

Vim and geany and emacs will find the fixed string "eee" just
once in the short text at the top.  Nano will find it three times.
And so does Pico.  So nano will have to continue doing that.  And
then, to be self-consistent, it should find the regexp "e+$" five
times, and therefore drop the special cases for replacing literal
^ and $.  Right?

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - IMAP accessible web-mail