nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] New option, killing trailing whitespace on justify

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] New option, killing trailing whitespace on justify
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 17:11:07 +0100

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016, at 16:31, Chris Allegretta wrote:
> I've found myself wanting needing this every once in awhile where. when
> editing code. I have to add or pull out a bunch of text and then want to
> justify that section, but for all the newly joined lines there is
> trailing whitespace introduced.  I've added a nanorc option called
> "kill_spaces_on_justify" which is a terrible name, but describing this
> behavior isn't the easiest thing to do.
>
> Does anyone have a better name for this option?

trim_trailing_whitespace?

Yes, that is too general.  But wouldn't it make sense
to have such a more general option: to always trim
trailing whitespace in a file?

Otherwise: right_trim_justify.

Also, the option just trims single spaces.  When words
are separated by multiple spaces (like often at the end
of a sentence), just one space is trimmed.

>  Also, I assume that
> no one else is clamoring for this feature,

There is at least one other person wanting this:
    https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?46361

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - IMAP accessible web-mail