nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: who would like to have word completion?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: who would like to have word completion?
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2016 11:57:26 +0100

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016, at 22:29, Brand Huntsman wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 1, 2016, at 16:21, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> > >   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nano.git/log/?h=word-completion
> > >
> > > Who likes this feature and would like to see it included
> > > in nano by default?
>
> I don't know if I would use it much but it sounds like a very useful
> feature for users who can't type fast, don't like to type or can't
> remember the exact spelling of a long word.

I fall into the slow-typer category, and I tend to use functions
with long and descriptive names which I try to differentiate
already in the first few letters.  So for me: type three letters,
hit ^], and bang, more than ten characters added at once.

> It would be more useful if it could read in words from other files
> (all files in a project, but needs a way to define what files to
> include) and maybe the ability to specify one or more dictionary/
> programming_language files.

Oof.  Complications.  Resource eaters.  No, not good for nano.

> Why not add a configure option to disable it for those who don't want it?

It's already there.  See the last commit on the branch.
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nano.git/commit/?h=word-completion&id=6c6667ed

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - The professional email service