nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Proposal: Change how nano navigates softwrapped lines

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Proposal: Change how nano navigates softwrapped lines
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 22:52:57 -0600

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Benno Schulenberg
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Mousepad appears to work like Gedit: softwrapping lines at whitespace
> and hyphens, and <Home> and <End> work on visual lines.  Juffed I had
> never heard of, and KWrite I can't test (no KDE system around).

Good to know.

> No!  I did not mean to suggest in any way that nano should
> have different keystroke for moving in visual and in logical
> lines, not at all.  It was meant as a horror example.  :)

Understood :)

> Of course.  But for reference: two years ago Mark Majeres already
> posted a patch that makes nano's softwrap break lines at whitespace:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2014-07/msg00023.html

That's definitely something to look into eventually.

> Whitespace at the beginning of a softwrapped part of a line would
> not trigger smarthome -- smarthome would skip whitespace only when
> at the beginning of a real, logical line.  On a softwrapped part,
> <Home> simply goes to the left margin.

Thanks for the clarification.

> But those are details.  I am fine with <Up> and <Down> moving
> through visual lines in softwrap mode.  Or even: in favor of.

Okay.

Thinking about this some more, if smart home isn't going to be an issue,
maybe <Home> and <End> should work on screen lines as well, as it would
allow greater flexibility of movement when <Up> and <Down> work on
virtual lines.  Especially since the "move to next block" functions nano
already has via <Ctrl-Up> and <Ctrl-Down> can move to the home and end
of a logical line (well, in the case of the latter, close enough to the
end).