nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] softwrapping without varying row length

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] softwrapping without varying row length
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 18:00:48 -0600

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 6:29 AM, Benno Schulenberg
<address@hidden> wrote:
> See attached patch.  It sacrifices the last column so that a
> double-width character can overflow into it.

I remember you mentioned that.

> This behavior differs from that of vim and emacs, but it is too hard
> to get the cursor placed right when trying to emulate that.

Without adding support for variable-length chunks, yes.

> This is just a proof of concept -- it needs to properly set
> editwincols in all places, and maybe some other corrections. Patch is
> against current git.  Took me three or four days to get it to work.
> :|

Are you planning on finishing it yourself or having me finish it?
Because I originally tried a very similar approach, but I could never
quite get it to work, which is why I went with the approach I did that
allowed for variable-length chunks.  Also, display_string() only
modifies the string based on length to make room for "$" or similar
things, but never adds them itself, so making display_string() add them
itself made me rather leery.

Or is this something where you add this to git after it's finished, I
get the softwrap navigation changes up to but not including the
variable-length chunk changes up to your standard and in git, and then
we hash out how to get the variable-length chunk changes up to your
standard and in git so that nano can both properly emulate vim/emacs and
break lines on whitespace?  (Which would require ripping this change out
and replacing it, unfortunately, since the two approaches conflict.)