nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] softwrap overhaul completed, and pushed

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] softwrap overhaul completed, and pushed
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2017 20:17:55 -0500

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 12:53 PM, David Ramsey <address@hidden>
wrote:
> Also, I've done a quick, crude port of the variable-length chunk
> changes to git

Addendum: I've recently tried keeping this up to date with the current
changes, and one of the recent fixes highlighted a severe problem.

With this patch set, when moving vertically, placewewant has to be kept
relative to the current leftedge, because when lines can be broken at
arbitrary locations, there's no way to know where, say, column 200 is;
on one line, column 200 in the line could be column 60 onscreen, while
in another, it could be column 50 onscreen.  However, if the starting
column is set past the end of the line (covered starting with git commit
244a503), that's where the problem is: if chunks are of variable length,
and the starting column you want is unavailable, there's no way to
determine what it should be.

Given this, I think my entire approach to variable-length chunks in this
patch set may be wrong, even if some bits might still be useful.  So
it's a good thing that adding support for variable-length chunks is a
long-term goal, because coming up with another approach will be as well
(unfortunately).