nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] indent/unindent overhaul (including undo/redo support)

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] indent/unindent overhaul (including undo/redo support)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 17:46:52 +0200

Op 11-07-2017 om 18:40 schreef David Ramsey:
On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 4:07 AM, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
(I would almost be tempted to push it to master right away.)

If you want to put it in earlier, it would be one less thing I have to maintain :)

[...]

The new version is attached.

Thanks.  Pushed to master, with two tweaks to the main comments.

There's one minor addition to the new version, as well: the short descriptions
in the help text for indent and unindent are updated to make it clearer what
they do.

Ah.  But that is not a refactoring, that is an actual /change/. So it
hasn't been included in the push.

First, indent and unindent are not exact inverses of each other, and the help text should not imply that they are;

I don't see the help texts implying that: they don't say anything about
what kind of whitespace they will handle.  And anyway, I think it is
too much detail for a help text.

second, unindent's ability to remove whitespace that's a mixture of tabs and
spaces is undocumented outside the code, which is a problem.

That is something that should go into the manuals.  But better wait with
that until after the overhaul, when the way these two functions work has
stabilized.

Benno