nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] Re-execute last command

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] Re-execute last command
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2017 01:44:02 -0600

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 01:51:35 -0300
Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita <address@hidden> wrote:

> Showing that last command in the current execute prompt was rejected.
> Don't know if it would be accepted if it was disabled by default and
> only enabled through a setting in nanorc.

I think what was rejected was showing it in the prompt like search does:

"Search [foo]: "

For execute it would look something like:

"Command to execute [from ./] [the last command here]: "

Leaving very little room to type a new command. What I suggest is switching to
the last command as if it had been selected from history with the up arrow.

"Command to execute [from ./]: the last command here"

The down arrow would clear the prompt just as it does now. The search prompt
could be changed to do the same thing, "Search: foo" instead of "Search [foo]:
". Then both prompts would be uniform and no setting would be needed to toggle
the feature for execute. Only problem is it would add an additional down arrow
keystroke if you want to do a new search, so maybe only do it for execute
prompt.