nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] build issues on Mingw32

From: Liu Hao
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] build issues on Mingw32
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 20:27:04 +0800

On 2017/12/26 19:55, Benno Schulenberg wrote:

> Op 25-12-17 om 15:46 schreef Liu Hao:
>> It is easy: I just install it somewhere then pass the path of
>> `include` and
>> `lib` directories to `configure`. Much of this work is done using the
>> script
>> here:
>>
>> <https://github.com/lhmouse/nano-win/blob/master/build-nano-win.sh#L28>
>
> I don't see any reference to a regex lib.  But maybe you removed it
> already?

Sorry I quoted the wrong branch. It is on the branch `with-libgnurx`:

<https://github.com/lhmouse/nano-win/blob/with-libgnurx/build-nano-win.sh#L28>

>> In order to build nano successfully, `--disable-speller` has to be
>> passed to `configure` due to absence of `fork()` and `wait()`.
> The --disable-speller option is enough to get nano to build on Mingw32?
> You don't pass any other options?  That would be strange, because the
> linter uses fork() too and it doesn't get disabled by --disable-speller.

Hmm you are right... I was compiling a patched nano, which had linter
etc disabled.

The whole patch is here:

<https://github.com/lhmouse/nano-win/commit/44eddc22d15468eb8e29e1f3bc627ca86e4df9e5#diff-d03ba61c71b6360bbf4c453d924e8fa2R3041>

Each time I update nano I just fetch your master branch, rebase my own
master onto it, then force-push it to nano-win.

> In your build script you pass --disable-justify to ./configure.  Is there
> any specific reason that you pass this option?  And if your nano does not
> do any justification, shouldn't you mention this in the README?

The script has been there since I started porting nano 2.4.x. At that
time justifying could only be undone by pressing ^U immediately. You
know I use nano to code, justifying is something superfluous for me. I
found it so unhelpful but unintentionally triggered so I disabled it
thereafter.

About the README issue: It can be re-enabled by removing
`--disable-justify` from the build script, in contrast to spell checker
and suspend-and-continue which cannot be enabled at all. That is the
essential difference.

--
Best regards,
LH_Mouse