nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of

From: Mike Scalora
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of the entire buffer
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 15:05:39 +0000

IMHO: Despite having used nano for decades, I was surprised it works the way it does work now. I think FILE operations (save, read) are not like text/content operations (replace, spell check, cut) so I don’t think this commonality makes sense (is expected). For the majority of users, I think it would be surprising behavior, in this case, a bad surprise. I support the toggle being added, I would even prefer it to NOT be sticky. Saving only the selection is something I would do very rarely and I fear not noticing and loosing the rest of the file.

-Mike