nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of the entire buffer
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 22:34:27 -0700

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 22:41:26 -0600
David Ramsey <address@hidden> wrote:

> Pressing a toggle to make sure the entire buffer is saved instead of a
> selection is also an extra step; I don't see how the two are that
> different.

The toggle is to enable selection writing, ^O would always write buffer, even
if a selection is active. And ^O M-S + typing a new filename would write
selection.

> We either have to (a) give some
> indicator and hope they notice it, (b) somehow get them to at least
> read enough of the filename prompt to notice "Write Selection"
> *before* going to muscle memory, or (c) find a different solution.

We only need indicators and other hacks if the least-used path is considered
more important than the most-used path. The change to prompt text was meant for
anyone who wanted to write a selection and expected the old behavior.

> And in terms of (c), there's quicksave: assuming default keybindings,
> pressing Ctrl-S always saves the entire buffer, regardless of whether
> the mark is on.

I tried binding ^O to savefile for a week, ended up with a lot of extra
linefeeds in files. Then I wrote a patch for anyone who doesn't like paper
cuts. Updated patch moves cursor to end of filename (repeated toggling) and
shortens the help bar text.