nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] add a toggle to write out a selection instead of the entire buffer
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2018 04:23:41 -0700

On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 11:37:05 +0100
Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Okay, I'll accept.  But please split the patch into two: one that
> doesn't change any prompt text, and a second that additionally
> differentiates the prompts according to the situation.

Not sure if you wanted the extra three messages so I split it into three
patches.

> What I worry about are the handful of users for whom saving a
> selection has become a habit.  They will be annoyed that they now
> have to hit a toggle before typing the file name.  And if they are in
> the habit of typing ^O^T, they will be surprised by the question
> "Save file under DIFFERENT NAME?" when they pick a file.

This is a problem we should probably solve before applying the patches. Not
sure how complicated it would be to display "Buffer" or "Selection" in the
upper right corner of titlebar in the file browser, when a mark is set. It
might be seen, but probably not, and would be the only form of notification
before selecting a filename. A little late in the process, but the yesno prompt
could change if a mark is set to indicate "Buffer", similar to the extra three
writeout prompts. It might lessen the confusion a little.