nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults

From: David Niklas
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2018 09:47:29 -0500

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 15:20:53 -0600
David Ramsey <address@hidden> wrote:
> Benno Schulenberg:
> > So... in general, we cannot be certain that the info that is selected
> > from the terminfo database, on either a local or remote machine,
> > matches what the used terminal actually produces.  :|
>
> Right.  It's one of those cases where what *should be* doesn't match
> what *is*.

How about filing a bug report upstream? I must confess it's not clear to
me who is responsible for selecting the correct terminfo when connecting
to a remote machine.

<snip>
> > (By the way, --rebindkeypad should have been called --rawsequences or
> > --rawcodes or something, because it effectively leaves the keypad keys
> > "unbound", unmangled, untranslated.)
>
> Probably.  It's difficult to come up with names for some of these
> options.

How about: --no-translate, or --no-terminfo, or --broken-terminfo?

As for the defaults, which is what this discussion is about, how about
changing some of the strange key bindings? ^S was added to ^O for save...
^X is normally cut and ^V is paste.

Thanks!