Re: [Nel] re: Boost library

From: Vincent Archer
Subject: Re: [Nel] re: Boost library
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:00:26 +0100

According to Vincent Archer:
> a BSD-licensed software, one cannot lift a BSD-style software and put it
> into a GPL project. The licenses are "orthogonal" in style, and you
> cannot decide on your own to alter the license; only the copyright owner
> may do so.

A little precision on this subject.

I was about immediately bashed on the head for my old-timer attitudes.
The arguments I raise mostly apply to the so-called "original BSD
license", which had relatively strict advertising clauses on it which
are incompatible with GPL. But for some reason, my brain is still locked
in the 10-years-ago mode, and I don't think I'll ever shake it out 'till
retirement home.

The recent BSD licenses let you mix things with GPL. So, we can't
incorporate Boost libraries into NeL, but we can happily get them, and
use them, just like we use FreeType and the like.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: address@hidden

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!