Re: [Nel] Network Connections

From: Michael Warnock
Subject: Re: [Nel] Network Connections
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 14:38:16 -0800

3) Windows did support something called micro threads, which had a much lower over head than traditional threads.  These ( if i remember correctly ) were designed specifically for scalable IO ( as in IIS ).  Some time looking here may well yield some useful results.
I come from a nix background, but I wouldn't doubt that windows also has had some implementation of microthreads.  The best current way to use microthreads afaik is stackless python (stackless.org) which I (as the game mechanics programmer) plan to use on the server side of the game my company (In-Orbit Entertainment) is working on using the Nel library.  Microthreads use an old and mostly forgotten programming concept called continuations- a continuation is, in brief, the rest of a program from any given point- that includes it's state and any branch of code it might follow from there.  Stackless Python provides a way to reference continuations- which requires it not to use the C stack for framing(a neat trick u should read about).  Writing microthreads is as simple as defining a bunch of functions and calling them at the same time with a special call- they are executed in parralel within the same thread and each requires almost no overhead above what they would if executed in serial.  EVE (a commercial mmorpg) also plans to use stackless as the basis for their game mechanics.  I dont have any benchmarks on its network performance or scalability, but I plan to test it soon.

Michael Warnock
In-Orbit Entertainment