Re: [Nel] Max 4 plugin and some questions

From: Cyril 'Hulud' Corvazier
Subject: Re: [Nel] Max 4 plugin and some questions
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 19:33:34 +0200

Hi,

> Max 4 plugins seem to be functional. I've attached my version of patch
(the
> diff is against the pre-Max4 version of NeL, so #ifs are looking
differently
> :-).

Good work, i know that compiling NeL plugins for 3dsmax 4 is a big challenge
:-).
Not that in general, the NeL team add include and lib directories in the
visual pathes,
not in the DSP files.

> Are there some general guidelines for the process of landscape creation ?
Is
> there something special about data organization, etc ? As I currently
> understand, the artist should first form the tile bank to be able to
texture
> the landscape. What I miss is that what the general concepts of the tile
> bank structure are. What the tile set's children are for, for example ?
> Next comes the section of questions about the zones. Are there rules (or
> limits) about how many patches should be in the zone, optimal patch size
> (curvature), how many zones may be in the landscape, should all zones be
in
> the same .max file, etc ?

Ok, give me some times to make a complete reply to your post with some max
exemples.

You must know that we have an internal plugin, a modified version of
discreet editpatch, in which
we "paint" the landscape textures, colors and displacement textures. We
can't distribute this plugin
for licenses reason. You should contact Robert Bjarnason from InOrbit. He
has started to write
an ingame painter for the NeL landscape.
He has made a post about this project in the list some weeks ago.

Thank for your feedback and stay tuned!

Regards,

Cyril.