[Nel] landscape generation

From: Evan Nguyen
Subject: [Nel] landscape generation
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:41:20 -0700 (PDT)

To Whom It May Concern:

   I have just stumble upon your awesome MMORPG
project.  Great work!

   I need assistance in understanding if there is a
way in actually generating the landscape patches w/o
using 3DS Max(is quite a pricey product).  So, I was
wondering is there a way to actually use heightmaps to
create the patches to generate the appropriate zones.
If so, can you please help me understand how to do
this programatically? And if not, is there another
route to go

Thanks!
Evan