Re: [Nmh-workers] MHCONTEXT buglet - send, post slow with dot_lock

From: Jeffrey C Honig
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] MHCONTEXT buglet - send, post slow with dot_lock
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:56:39 -0500

Robert Tarrall <address@hidden> wrote:

> Support item 103005 (link above) includes a patch to sbr/lock_file.c
> which simply skips locking if the file is /dev/null.  That's one
> solution... a more general solution might be to skip locking if
> permissions won't allow the lock file to be created.

An MHCONTEXT file of /dev/null is a special case.  But, is it the only
one?  There may be other cases where we try to create a dot-lock file
but do not have permissions.  We should insure that we handle that
properly.  Do we try to lock files that are writable in directories that
are not writable?  How do we handle that?

If creation of the dot-lock file fails due to permissions retrying is
not likely to help, we should take a more appropriate action.

Thanks.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey C. Honig <address@hidden>