Re: [Nmh-workers] MHCONTEXT buglet - send, post slow with dot_lock

From: Robert Tarrall
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] MHCONTEXT buglet - send, post slow with dot_lock
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:21:13 -0700

address@hidden wrote:
-> > solution... a more general solution might be to skip locking if
-> > permissions won't allow the lock file to be created.
->
-> Gaak.  No.  In *general*, failure to create the lock file should be a
-> *fatal* error, because silently continuing would allow the collision of
-> two processes over whatever resource is being locked.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I *think* the general assumption when
you're locking these files is that you're going to change them and want
to ensure that someone else doesn't make changes at the same time.  If
you don't have sufficient permissions to modify the file, locking is
irrelevant because you're not going to be changing it anyway.

If there is some other reason why NMH is locking files, let me know.

                       -Robert Tarrall.-
                       Unix System/Network Admin
                       E.Central/Neighborhood Link