Re: [Nmh-workers] flattening continuation lines

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] flattening continuation lines
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 07:58:50 -0400

 > Paul Fox wrote:
 > > i have what feels like a simple problem.
 > >
 > > i want to post-process the output of mhbuild to add a "Content-disposition"
 > > header after any Content-type header that matches some criteria.
 >
 > Wouldn't it be easier to just edit the C code? Out of interest, why do

in general, i agree, and it was my first reaction, after seeing
that content-disposition has been on the mh todo list for a
number of years.  in this particular case, the changes aren't for
me -- they're for my wife, to use at work, where she's been
burned in the past by using local copies of stuff that is also
supplied by "IT", so i was trying to script the solution instead.
in any case, your patch is a lot simpler than what i would have
come up with -- i probably would have duplicated much of the code
that lets one insert Content-Description headers, in order to let
the user specify Content-Disposition in a similar manner (with,
perhaps { } delimeters in the draft file.

 > you want to do this? Are you perhaps sending mail to someone whose mail
 > client doesn't like messages which lack the header? mhbuild probably

apparently people she works with can't tell her attachment types
apart easily -- so she wants her outgoing headers to look just
like the ones her co-workers send.  (they all use browser-based
mailers of some sort -- i assume netscape or IE.)

what i actually suspect is that specifying the name in the
content-type header would be sufficient (something she only just
started doing), and that the content-disposition header probably
isn't necessary at all.  but she's tired of hearing them complain
about her mail.  :-)

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 54.3 degrees)