Re: [Nmh-workers] [nmh-1.2] a serious bug in the nmh configure script

From: Joel Reicher
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] [nmh-1.2] a serious bug in the nmh configure script
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 01:04:57 +1100

> I understand the issues a bit better now, thanks to
>
> http://www.unixpapa.com/incnote/dbm.html
>
> The tests are finding an implementation of the ndbm API. First try
> is Berkeley DB version 1, then gdbm, then Berkeley DB version 2. The
> problem with the last test is that it is done by only checking for
> the existence of db.h, and on NetBSD this header exists for another
> reason. I'm not experienced with this kind of thing, but I suspect the
> correct fix is to add a usability check for db.h, i.e. see that a call
> to some ndbm function can be compiled.

The more I look at what's on NetBSD the more I think this is Berkeley DB
version 1, it's just that the headers aren't in a db1 subdir. I think
the check should be for gdbm/ndbm.h first, then ndbm.h, then db.h, then
db1/ndbm.h. While this doesn't cater for the situation where a vendor
supplied ndbm has been replaced by Berkeley DB version 1, I think it's
reasonable for the installer to give configure the path if they're unhappy
with the vendor version.

Cheers,

        - Joel