Re: [Nmh-workers] exciting new stuff for 2.0 (IMAP proposal)

From: Nathan Bailey
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] exciting new stuff for 2.0 (IMAP proposal)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:35:48 +1100

I want to do IMAP too.  I have an idea for design:
1. a .rc file with credentials (i.e. username, password and IMAP server)
2. All mh folders as normal, except if a directory has a ".imaprc" (or
   similar) file in it, then it has no real files -- it is a reference
   to an IMAP folder
3. Use imaplib or some other standard imap library to add IMAP support
   to commands incrementally (start with pick, scan and show, move on
   to repl, etc.)

This should work interoperably with existing mh, so the logic would go:

(mh command) =>
i) go to relevant directory
ii) if this directory has an .imaprc file, ignore local files, use IMAP
    extensions
iii) read IMAP folder from .imaprc
iv) read credentials from ~/.imaprc
v) connect to server, translate MH command into IMAP
vi) return results back in MH-friendly format for MH commands to use as
   if they got it from file

I don't know how "free" mh's architecture is, i.e. to take a data
structure from an IMAP function call rather than from reading a bunch
of files?

I intend to prototype this a bit in perl first (using Mail::IMAPClient)
since I also need an IMAP procmail anyway, and it'll be easier to write
the IMAP stuff first before getting into mh internals :-)

re,