Re: [Nmh-workers] ADMINISTRIVIA: Change to mailing list policy

From: Ralph Corderoy
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 15:12:42 +0000

Hi Earl,

> On March 6, 2006 at 17:25, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> > I am announcing a change to the nmh-workers mailing list policy.
> > Effective today, I am changing the default mailing list action for
> > posts from non-members from "hold" (meaning: "hold for moderator
> > approval") to "reject" (you get a bounce message).
>
> I recommend "discard".  Spammers are known to use originating
> addresses of regular people, so you can potentially be the cause of
> receiving more spam due to mis-directed bounces.

But Mailman is generating a `your message is pending approval because
you're not subscribed' email at the moment, isn't it?  So changing
policy from `hold' to `bounce' won't be creating more emails back to the
OP, just altering what kind they get.

I'd vote for bounce with a `you must be subscribed'.

As someone who administers two Mailman lists, one of them on SourceForge
which means an old and clunky Mailman interface, I sympathise.

Cheers,

Ralph.