Re: [Nmh-workers] [NEWBIE]: fetchmail/procmail and inc

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] [NEWBIE]: fetchmail/procmail and inc
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:19:09 +0100

Joel Reicher <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I am a real newbie at MH (nmh, mh and mailutils) but I am trying
> > to learn how all of this works. I just love the fact I can read
> > my mails either using the shell commands or using a GUI (such as
> > MH-E).
> >
> > My main problem is this:
> >
> > how can I tell 'inc' to launch fetchmail ?
>
> Why do you want to do this? What is fetchmail doing for you?

Fetchmail is used to retrieve my mails. It then passes them to
procmail which stores them into my mail spool.

> For instance, if you're only using fetchmail to collect your mail from
> a POP server, just use inc instead; it can do this.

Oh really ? I did not notice that. I will read info page again.

> The problem of retrieving mail is the same in either case, however. Use
> fetchmail OR inc, but not both. As long as it works, I doubt it will matter
> much what you choose.

As of today, I use *both* fetchmail and inc. Fetchmail/procmail
are used to retrieve/sort/filter/store mail into my system wide
mail spool. Inc is there to update my $USER mailbox. It works ok
but I am not satisfied of this. I want inc to do almost all the
job except sorting/storing (which I want procmail still to do).

Regards,

Xavier