Re: [Nmh-workers] The invisible mail folder

From: Jerrad Pierce
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] The invisible mail folder
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:02:19 -0500

Quoth Joel:
>If everyone's happy with "+" meaning the folder root and "@" meaning
>the current folder and anything following being interpreted the same
>as any pathspec would be then I'll clean up the code and try to get
>around to making sure it's documented properly too.
Yes, that sounds best to me.

>OK, that brings us back to the original discussion. :) Is "+" without
>anything immediately following a folderspec in its own right? Norman
I could go either way on that. + as sugar for +. is not unreasonable,
but also not especially necessary. A point for con is to avoid fat-fingered
misfilings into MHPATH.

Norm sayeth:
>NO. I'm not quite happy with that, in that I would prefer that
>
>    + foobar
>
>mean the same thing as +foobar. That way wild card expansion in shell scripts
>and file name completion in interactive shells would be much easier.
No, MH semantics shuold be isolated from the shell's and foo + barFolder is
broken. If you want tab completion to work nicely with your setup (I'm
assuming you've collapsed all your folders into your root-directory or
something since that's the only way this proposal would seem to work) leverage
your shell's tools. In tcsh I use the following which happily works from
any place in the tree:

  complete {chbox,fols,pick,refile,s,scan,show} 'address@hidden@D:$HOME/Mail/@'

This allows me to type
     refile +T^Is^Ib^I^J

to send something to
     +Todo/software/bug

The only bit it doesn't do is completion of relative paths, which
would be possible with a similar program and some hooks to grab context
but so isn't worth it.
--
Free map of local environmental resources: http://CambridgeMA.GreenMap.org