Re: [Nmh-workers] Alas, No nmh in RedHat 4

From: Josh Bressers
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Alas, No nmh in RedHat 4
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 14:59:37 -0400

> Not too fussed about obscure bugs personally, core functionality seems fine=
>  to me.  Apologies to those for whom it's not the case.
>
> I'm more concerned about nmh dying.  If people have to compile from source,=
>  there's a reasonable chance they won't bother.  I'd love to see up-to-date=
>  rpm and deb packages get included in the common repositories (redhat/ubunt=
> u/etc).  This would probably be the best way to bring in new users in my op=
> inion.

It's in Fedora at least (I maintain it there).  I don't ever expect nmh to
be in Red Hat Enterprise Linux, as they only have a finite amount of
engineering power, and there is certainly not enough demand for nmh.

The easiest way to get nmh running on RHEL4 is going to be this:

Download this:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development/source/SRPMS/nmh-1.2-20070116cvs.4.fc9.src.rpm
(it's the Fedora 9 nmh source rpm)

Run:
rpmbuild --rebuild nmh-1.2-20070116cvs.4.fc9.src.rpm

At the very end you should see something like this:
Wrote: /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/nmh-1.2-20070116cvs.4.i386.rpm

Just install that rpm.

--
    JB