Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal) [ really non-

From: chad
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal) [ really non-ASCII message bodies ]
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 13:18:13 -0800

On Dec 7, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> You know .... I'm all for backwards compatibility and everything, but
> I'm wondering ... did the previous behavior actually make sense?  Can
> people argue that it was desirable or correct?  Or was the previous
> behavior actually wrong, and this is really fixing a long-standing
> bug?

It was a bug.  The only suggesting that it wasn't a bug is instead saying
that it was `illegal' (which it wasn't... it just usually was a bad idea).

nmh was used so infrequently in places that aren't 7-bit clean that none
of the people who noticed complained; they just binned it with the
host of non-i18n'd software and moved on.  This is generalizing a bit
from a small sample, but I'd be even more astonished than if we found
more than a dozen people who use mh exclusively for all their email. ;)

*Chad