Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal) [ really non-

From: harald . geyer
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal) [ really non-ASCII message bodies ]
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 23:55:40 +0100

Jon Steinhart <address@hidden>:
> The current behavior was the best idea that I had
> at the time and nobody has said anything about it until recently.  I don't
> mind it changing, but I don't want to all of a sudden get complaints from
> people who were counting on this behavior.

Well, I always considered the current behaviour a bug, but I didn't say
anything, because the nmh-way of software development seemed pretty
inefficient and I didn't want to look at the code myself either. So,
when I found out that nmh was sending illegal mails (the timestamps of
my filesystem tell me it was 25. Jun 2008), I just "fixed" this
by adding three lines to the components file:

(which of course I have to remove if I actually want to attach a file
to a mail)

I guess, I'm not the only one silently applying some workaround but
I also guess that much more people unknowingly send illegal mail.
So unless somebody on this mailinglist states that he actually needs
the current behaviour, I think it is very safe to assume that no such
complaints you are fearing will ever be made.

Given the number of mails wasted on this seemingly obvious question now, I
really regret not filing a bug report 2.5 years ago.

BTW, I also use nmh exclusively for my mail, except for the two times/year
when I actually need to send signed/encrypted mails.

Personally I think that nmh should rather abort than silently sending illegal
mails.

Harald