Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.4 build failures on RHEL/CentOS 5

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.4 build failures on RHEL/CentOS 5
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 09:33:26 -0500

>On CentOS 5, I get the following compile time errors:
>        reference to `tgetnum' termsbr.c:(.text+0x132): undefined
>[...]
>        reference to `tgetnum' termsbr.o: In function `SOprintf':
>        termsbr.c:(.text+0x1be): undefined reference to `tputs'
>        termsbr.c:(.text+0x1f9): undefined reference to `tputs'
>        termsbr.o: In function `clear_screen': termsbr.c:(.text+0x2a5):
>        undefined reference to `tputs' collect2: ld returned 1 exit
>        status make: *** [mhlist] Error 1
>
>That was fixed by installing ncurses-devel, but we should really be
>checking for that at configure time. Also:

I think we do, right?  I mean, we check for tgetent in configure.
What did configure say when you ran it without ncurses-devel installed?

>        reference to `dparsetime' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>        make[1]: *** [forw] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory
>        `/local/home/install/nmh-1.4/uip' make: *** [all-recursive]
>        Error 1
>
>I haven't got to the bottom of that one yet. There's a prototype for it
>in tws.h and the definition claims to be in dtimep.lex, but it's been
>nearly 20 years since I last did anything with lex, and I'm rusty enough
>that I can't immediately see what's wrong (or even what's meant to be
>happening!)

You want to look at dtimep.c (the generated output from dtimep.lex).
And from the 1.4 tarball ... yes, it's in there.  Well, specifically,
there is this:

#define YY_DECL struct tws *dparsetime(char *lexstr)

And YY_DECL is used as a function prototype later for the scanner.  So
I'm puzzled by this one.