Re: [Nmh-workers] Is Pick Antiquated?

From: Joel Uckelman
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Is Pick Antiquated?
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 12:48:36 -0700

Thus spake paul vixie:

> On 2/4/2012 5:47 PM, Joel Uckelman wrote:
> > Having other nmh command understand pick syntax might be uesful. But
> > removing pick would not be. Because message numbers are also filenames,
> > pick is handy for generating lists of filenames to be consumed by other
> > non-nmh programs.
>
> this draws two comments from me. first, message numbers are relative
> file names. i always use mhpath.

I'm a little embarassed to say that I didn't know about mhpath---I'd
been using pick from the same directory as the message files, or using
sed to build the paths for me. Thanks!

> second, message numbers are currently file names. if we succeed in
> abstracting things correctly, they might refer to imap objects some day.
> in which case i suppose that mhpath will emit imap: url's?

Having IMAP URLs would mean that we interoperate with IMAP, which would
make me so happy that I would not mind having pick return them.

--
J.