Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost

From: paul vixie
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 17:08:22 +0000

On 2/7/2012 3:37 PM, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
>> Or you could use cat(1).
> Well that's what I do do.
>
> It's great that MH makes that easy and there are various situations in
> which I will go straight to the file. But do you really think that
> should be the only resort when badly formed mail arrives? I'd prefer to
> see what was intended by the sender.

i am +1 to this. but i exchange a lot of MIME with people all day long,
in a way that shell level tools can't help me. so i've moved to IMAP and
i've converted a small subset of my MH folders to "Maildir" format.

what this means to me is that if i can't figure out what someone
intended or i need to run grep, i have to fight like hell to figure out
which file in the Maildir swamp contains the message that my mail reader
isn't parsing correctly. until i can run 'emacs' on that file i don't
really know what's going on.

imagine my relief if i could run pick and mhpath, either on the same
server where my imap server runs (if i want to see a local file system
path name) or on my laptop (if i want to see an IMAP url and perhaps a
local copy of the file.)

using thunderbird helps me a tiny bit more than it hurts me, but it
hurts quite a bit. i want my MH tools back.