Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost

From: Oliver Kiddle
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 12:00:16 +0100

To me, Ken's suggestions here sound good.

In just about every installation of nmh I've ever had, the first thing I
do is to set masquerdade: draft_from. (Currently, I have exim configured
to choose an appropriate smarthost based on the From address. I have
From: set in my draft as part of my prompter like zsh script.) Ken's
suggestion of using mh-format to handle existing functionality like
substituting an environment variable seems like the best approach
because we can put something resembling the existing behaviour in the
components file that will then work for people that just use nmh without
configuring a From address. And most people will continue to set From to
one of their various addresses using their existing mechanisms. On a
system, where draft_from was not appropriate a system administrator
ought to configure sendmail to reject e-mails with an incorrect domain.

On the subject of spost, I would be happy to see it go. If someone has a
better reason for needing it than because they configured postproc years
ago for long forgotten reasons then fair enough. In that case, it'd be
better if they can modify post so mts.conf can have an mts: value of pipe
(or whatever) to use sendmail -t. It also might simplify things if post
was split up into one programme for expanding aliases, applying filters,
handing Bcc etc and another for actually submitting the e-mail.

Robert Elz wrote:
> One of the things MH always stood for was interpreting the mail standards
> strictly, not just "anything that make other mailers happy" - and much of
> the complexity is there to try as hard as possible to make that be true.

This is fine aslong as you're talking about sending mail and what nmh
produces. Unfortunately, this approach in nmh often gets in the way of
nmh actually being useful. For example when reading some e-mails, I get:
  mhshow: invalid QUOTED-PRINTABLE encoding -- expecting hexidecimal-digit,
          but got char 0x74
I'd prefer to just see the email. mhshow could have a -pedantic or -lint
option.

Oliver