Re: [Nmh-workers] NMH long lines

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] NMH long lines
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:51:04 -0500

>Apologies for the vagueness.  By "current one" I'm referring
>to our existing X400 gateway accessed via Clearswift MTA software, with
>SMTP conversion done by a third party.
>
>  Our belief now is that at some point in that submission processes the
>lines are split with CR/LF under the Clearswift route, but NMH uses an
>exclamation mark as the line delimiter and it's this we'd like to amend.

Hm.  Okay ... I guess there are still some things I don't understand.

- _How_ are these long lines being generated, exactly?  I ask because it's
  difficult to generate long message lines with the standard Unix tools;
  yes, you can do it, but you have to work at it.  It's certainly not
  the normal mode of operation.

- Are you sure nmh is generating the exclamation marks as the line
  delimiters?  A quick glance of the relevant source code makes me
  think that once "post" hits the body of the message, it just
  slurps the whole thing in, doesn't do any line length checking,
  and blasts it all out to the MTA (which is arguably wrong, but
  see my previous bullet).  It's entirely possible that it _is_,
  because some of that code is pretty hairy.