Re: [Nmh-workers] NMH long lines

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] NMH long lines
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 18:32:44 -0500

>The long lines are being produced by a bespoke C process,
>running on Solaris, and the data is EDIFact formatted.  These output
>files are fine up until the point I call "mhmail" and by the time it
>gets through our Exchange gateway it comes back with exclamation marks
>in it ~every 998 characters.

Okay, so I sat down and generated a long-lined message and fed it
into mhmail and watched the SMTP network traces with tcpdump ...
and it's just as I thought - we're not doing any line breaking.
What you send is exactly what you get.  The message does get broken when
I receive it (at column 1024, though).  So it ain't nmh doing the line
breaking; it's one of the SMTP servers in your path.

We _should_ be doing some kind of line breaking, though ... as others
have pointed out, sending a line greater than 998 columns is not valid
according to the SMTP specification.  But anyway, we aren't putting those
exclamation marks in there; that's someone else.