Re: [Nmh-workers] Are we ready for 1.5?

From: paul vixie
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Are we ready for 1.5?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 02:17:25 +0000

On 3/15/2012 1:31 AM, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> So I guess what I'm asking is ... does anyone else think that there is
> something that should be in 1.5?  Note that these suggestions should either
> be a) simple or b) come with an offer to write the code :-).  I know
> Paul Vixie wants to kill m_getfld() and I can't really blame him, but
> I don't think that's going to happen for this release unless Lyndon has
> a private branch that he hasn't told us about :-)

to be fair, i was more tempted to replace it with different code having
the same API, but in the end, software engineering discipline won out:
it's working and there's no good reason to screw around with it until
we've got a radically different API in mind. so, don't hold 1.5 up for
m_getfld.

> If there is nothing else, I am thinking of starting the 1.5 release cycle
> in week or so.  At that point I'll start putting release candidates up
> on savannah, so if you've been holding off trying out the new stuff
> because you didn't want to mess with git or you were concerned that
> nmh was moving too fast, that would be the time to give it a go!

may i suggest a fairly long "rc" period, during which we make sure there
are freebsd-ports, pkg-src, rpm, deb, and so on packages made even for
the "rc"'s so that testing can be more wide spread than "those of us who
are still willing to build from a tarball". i think 1.4's quality
suffered a little bit from that sea change.

paul