Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.5RC3 no longer honors mts.conf localname setting for

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.5RC3 no longer honors mts.conf localname setting for Message-ID?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 22:27:57 -0400

JerryHeyman <address@hidden> writes:
> fwiw, I've always used a localname entry in my mts.conf file.
> I do know that I needed it when I wanted to use address@hidden as
> my return address rather than address@hidden - as the
> machine name isn't exposed to the internet, but my domainname is.

Yeah, mine is the same situation: sss.pgh.pa.us is a domain name, not
the whole FQDN of any one machine in my house network.  The reason
I was griping about Message-ID usage is that I prefer the message IDs
to not expose internal machine names, either.

(BTW, after some experimentation I realized that there is a good reason
to have post assign Message-IDs rather than let the MTA do it: if post
does it then the Message-ID gets included in the Fcc-filed copy, which
at least for me is a significant advantage.  So I don't plan to take
Ken's advice of dropping the -msgid switch, and will persist with
hacking the source code to make the message IDs be generated the way
I want.)

                        regards, tom lane