Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.5RC3 no longer honors mts.conf localname setting for

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.5RC3 no longer honors mts.conf localname setting for Message-ID?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 23:39:39 -0400

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> writes:
>> (BTW, after some experimentation I realized that there is a good reason
>> to have post assign Message-IDs rather than let the MTA do it: if post
>> does it then the Message-ID gets included in the Fcc-filed copy, which
>> at least for me is a significant advantage.  So I don't plan to take
>> Ken's advice of dropping the -msgid switch, and will persist with
>> hacking the source code to make the message IDs be generated the way
>> I want.)

> To be fair ... I wasn't suggesting that's what you do; my point
> only was that the last time people talked about that, the majority
> of responses (actually, all of them) indicated that they didn't use
> -msgid.  If people think there's justification for a knob that controls
> the hostname used for message-id generation (among other things)
> then I'm fine with that.  Contributed code would be welcome.

It seems like the cleanest solution would be to have a parameter
analogous to clientname, that overrides the normal default (ie, the host
name returned by getaddrinfo) for the specific usage of generating the
message-ID host part.  This is analogous to clientname in that
clientname overrides the default for the specific usage of sending the
HELO message.  If that seems sensible, and we can agree on a name for
the thing (any suggestions?), I'd be willing to draft a patch.

BTW, thinking about clientname, I wonder why that wasn't folded in as
another responsibility of LocalName().  I'd certainly be inclined to
implement localname, clientname, and this new parameter as facets of a
single mechanism.

                        regards, tom lane