Re: [Nmh-workers] mime-aware filtering?

From: Tethys
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mime-aware filtering?
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 23:43:08 +0100

Ken Hornstein writes:

>>A possible way to solve the access to MIME parts problem
>>might be to store the parts as messageNumber.partNumber*
>>Creation of these parts would be optional, and eat space,
>>but it would make indexing/grepping easy.
>
>You know ... given that & Norm's comments, that actually might work.
>Thoughts?

My only thought is that MIME is more than just the linear list of
attachments that many seem to believe, and we need to come up with
a naming convention capable of representing that. And even then,
deciding what to store as content for a given part isn't necessarily
straightforward. For example, if you have a multipart/alternative
part, how do you represent that in the filesystem? We've briefly
touched on some of this before:

        http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2012-02/msg00088.html

But whatever we do, it needs careful thought to cover the edge cases
that are increasingly becoming the common case in mail I'm being sent.

Tet