Re: [Nmh-workers] Attaching graphics files

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Attaching graphics files
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 10:00:12 -0400

>There is also a simpler way: you can just type "attach SoundShot.tgz" at
>the Whatnow prompt, but you have to these mysterious settings in
>~/.mh_profile...
>
>  send: -attach X-MH-Attach -attachformat 1
>  whatnow: -attach X-MH-Attach

Like David already said, you don't need to put anything in your .mh_profile
now (unless you haven't upgraded to 1.5 because you're a lame-o :-) ).

>Ken - Do you have some specific reason for generating
>complained, not that that means a whole lot, I suppose.

Well, it was a few years ago, but I had a case where an unspecified
Windows email client would take the MIME type from the filename
extension in the Content-Disposition header rather from the actual
MIME type.  At least, that's sure what seemed to be happening;
getting some useful feedback from my correspondent was difficult
(it all came out as "it didn't read it as a PowerPoint file"); I
think I manually added a Content-Disposition header and then things
worked.  I would phrase the question as, "Can you think of a reason
to NOT generate a Content-Disposition header?"  It seems like it's
pretty standard to generate it nowadays.  In nmh 1.5 we defaulted to
-attachformat 1 and that generates a Content-Disposition header; part
of me thinks that we should do that for mhbuild directives, but that
would be a feature change and I think that mhbuild directives are for
people who want exact control over their MIME content.