Re: [Nmh-workers] Email access while traveling?

From: Kevin Cosgrove
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Email access while traveling?
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:56:11 -0700

On 23 October 2012 at 13:05, Lyndon Nerenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2012-10-23, at 12:56 PM, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > I'd really prefer full operability between my phone and my home
> > email.  But, I don't know how to do that.
> >
> > What do you people do in such circumstances?
>
> About the best you can do is install the UW-IMAP server and
> configure it to run against your MH message store.  Note that
> this is not perfect, as UW-IMAP doesn't get all the MH folder
> semantics right, but it's functional enough to be useful.  (I
> forget what the limitations of the #mh driver are.  If you use
> this, don't mix command line and IMAP access if you can help
> it.)

I'll bet that exmh use counts as command line use in your above
scenario.  That restriction would likely rule this out for me.
I could tolerate the restriction that I use only UW-IMAP while
traveling, and avoid UW-IMAP entirely while home.

> The only other real alternative is to install an ssh client on
> your device and remotely log in.  This is not practical on a
> phone, but might be workable on a tablet.

Yes, I just tried ConnectBot.  It works very well.  But, the
1-point font equivalent doesn't seem all that workable.  Maybe I
could get a pair of brain surgeon binoculars.  A tablet would be
much better for this use.

Thanks!

--
Kevin