Re: [Nmh-workers] Responding to calendar requests

From: Michael . Urban
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Responding to calendar requests
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:48:06 -0700

Ken Hornstein writes:
> ... What I'm really wondering about is
> the user interface issues.  In other words, is the user interface you're
> imaging something like this? (message 100 contains our message with the
> calendar entry):
>
> % mhlist 100
> % mhstore -part <N> -file /tmp/foo.in.ics
> % awk -f icsprog.accept /tmp/foo.ics.in > /tmp/foo.ics.out
> % repl 100
> in draft 100, insert:
> #text/calendar; method=REPLY; charset=utf-8 /tmp/foo.ics.out
> Run mhbuild/send.
>
> I mean, yeah, that would work; that's sorta what I did.  But ... it
> kinda sucks, doesn't it?  Shouldn't we do better?

For my purposes, it suffices to take the original .ics file and run it
into a filter that generates a reply message to the ORGANIZER with the
proper ical MIME attachment and sends it along.  So it's

% mhstore [to some file]
% calreply.pl [that file]
Send reply about 'Planning Meeting' to address@hidden("Some
Person"). RSVP was not requested.  Confirm?  y
Sent.

I have tinkered a bit with the idea of having an MH-flavored interface
for storing/showing/creating icalendar event and todo items (for no
good reason, I have been using the xcal XML format, RFC 6321, for
this).  Too-close integration of calendar and mail functions has the
danger of spawning horrors like Outlook, I think; but my thoughts on
the matter are still pretty half-baked, I admit.