Re: [Nmh-workers] new command lacks lock

From: epg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] new command lacks lock
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 12:52:11 -0700

Hi, I wrote these commands, based on address@hidden's original new
Perl script, which I'd used for years before offering up this "core"
version.

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM, Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> wrote:

> The big difference here is that folder_read() does a complete readdir()
> on the folder directory and then reads in the sequence file.  "new"
> just directly reads the sequence file.  But ... if you use "new" in the
> default mode, it ends up calling crawl_folders(), which at a minimum
> does a readdir() on every folder, so that seems to me to be a wash.

Right, so don't run in the default mode! :)

I only implemented that so it works out of the box. I've always used
it with a folders file, which my mail inc/filter script updates.

I used to use MH mainly over NFS, where reading all my gigantic
folders takes a lot of time for no good reason. If you use the normal
APIs, new is basically useless for NFS users.

Even on local disk, I expect it makes a noticeable difference. Right
now it takes 0.009s to run, with 940,047 files in 282 directories,
11,994 unread total.

Yes, we have a lot of mail here :). We have a joke that a software
engineer is a machine for turning coffee into email...

Thanks.