Re: [Nmh-workers] Slowdown with a Populated Folder.

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Slowdown with a Populated Folder.
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 15:42:24 -0500

>It would be nice if that could be
>
>    mark -newswitch -seq lpsave -zero -add lp
>    # ...
>    mark -newswitch -seq lp -zero -add lpsave
>
>where an unknown sequence being added is treated as empty.  We already
>have, as you've shown, the ability to "create" an empty sequence that
>doesn't get saved.

Thinking more about it ... I realize that it's more of a change than
is originally obvious.

In the first example, "lp" isn't a sequence ... it's a list of messages
that HAPPENS to be a sequence.  In all MH commands, trying to reference
a message that doesn't exist is treated as an error (except in very few
special cases).  I think changing this (even just for mark) has more
wide-reaching consequences than you realize.  I'm not saying it can't
be done properly, it's just that some careful thought is required.