Re: [Nmh-workers] Front-end census

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Front-end census
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 23:14:04 -0500

I don't want to draw this out, but mutt is *so* much faster than any other
front end that anyone who wants to get through a large volume of mail quickly
really should check it out. It may be that there are some potential conflicts
with other MH programs, as Ken says, but it's possibly to make rich use of both
mutt and MH with no such conflicts.

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:47:25AM -0500, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> A number of people have fetchmail retrieving email, or procmail feeding
> messages into rcvstore ... it comes up.

I use fetchmail, procmail and rcvstore with no problems. Again, I'm using these
in strictly single-threaded fashion. I'm either fetching mail or reading it,
never both at the same time.

> Do you not use custom sequences at all?  If not, then it wouldn't be
> an issue.

I do most of my mail stuff in mutt, but do pipe messages to Perl scripts which
invoke MH commands for various things. I also use MH/nmh directly from the
command line sometimes, but I don't create sequences that I expect to persist
for any length of time.

For example, if I'm reading mail from the command line, I have aliases for
going forward or backwards through the messages in a folder. Another shortcut
allows me to add junk messages to a "garbage" sequence, which I can then delete
when I'm done. But I don't need to preserve this sequence across multiple
sessions.

-pd

--
----