Re: [Nmh-workers] First release candidate of nmh 1.6 now available

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] First release candidate of nmh 1.6 now available
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 23:50:59 +0100

Hi Ken,

> I have mixed feelings about this; I think /bin/bash is wrong, but I
> thought that /bin/sh should actually work everywhere.

If it's a bash script, as opposed to a dash, sh, or zsh one, then it
should specify bash.  And if bash is somewhere other than /bin then the
user probably has the nous to resolve the problem.

> I know perl is all over the place, but I thought /usr/bin/perl was
> pretty standard.  What do others think?

Yes, I'd expect it to be there rather than /bin.  Perl's -x allows a
Perl script to start

    #!/bin/sh
    eval 'exec perl -x -wS $0 ${1+"$@"}'
        if 0;

as a means of avoiding /usr/bin/env.  This is handy because on at least
one system I used, AIX 3.2.5 perhaps, env(1) was only in /bin and not
/usr/bin;  /bin/sh always existed.