Re: [Nmh-workers] First release candidate of nmh 1.6 now available

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] First release candidate of nmh 1.6 now available
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 22:16:58 -0400

>>That really seems like overkill. Also, none of those scripts are
>>regularly tested, or even supported. I would much rather see those
>>copied into /usr/local/share/nmh/contrib, with a post install note
>>pointing out that directory.
>
>They might not be tested nmh-workers, but I expect we are all eating our
>own dog food. After all, the contributions were made because they scratched
>an itch. Possibly more of an issue is the contributions following out of
>sync with updates. Perhaps a note should be included with each pointing
>to any official project page/other source for the latest and greatest?

So, to provide some history ...

"contrib" came in being because of replyfilter.  It sort of sits apart
from nmh; it's a hack, but a useful one that filled a need (that we
haven't quite solved natively).  It also required functionality that
nmh had to add.  It's a bit of an odd duck, really.  Other programs came
a bit later.  The commonality here is that all of these things are simple
one-file items that it's not worth setting up a distribution for.

So where's the line between creating a pointer to an external package
and including the package in nmh?  I'm not sure.  MIME-Tools is a bit
on the edge; it's more than one file, but not very big.  FWIW, I'd be
glad to put an entry on the nmh homepage about it.