Re: [Nmh-workers] Fwd: RFC 7259 on The Jabber-ID Header Field

From: Earl Hood
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Fwd: RFC 7259 on The Jabber-ID Header Field
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 17:26:12 -0500

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

> Note the use of XML encoding (section 2) for non-ASCII characters in
> the header's contents :-P

I think the XML encoding is for RFC purposes vs what is specifically
allowed.  Have a look at RFC 3987, Section 1.4.

>From my quick scanning, the jabber IDs would use normal URI-style
percent escaping for non-ASCII characters.  The use of XML-style
notation is for representing a non-ASCII character within the RFC
itself.

IMO, I think that is horrible.  The "U+XXXX" notation should be used in
RFC text.  XML character entity references should only be used in XML.
It makes the RFCs confusing to read.

Being someone who have worked with XML for a very long time, seeing such
sequences in an RFC makes me think someone was using XML to author the
RFC and the transform to plain text did not know what to do about
non-ASCII characters.

--ewh