Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh not using w3n or elinks

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh not using w3n or elinks
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 18:08:04 -0400

lyndon wrote:

 > On May 15, 2014, at 7:09, address@hidden wrote:
 >
 > > I installed w3n and elinks but nmh is not using them:
 >
 > Given all the grief people have been experiencing getting HTML
 > rendering tools to work, perhaps we should consider importing
 > Plan9's htmlfmt(1) and using it as the default renderer.

this may well be a good idea, but it feels like much of norm's problem
was that the relevant configuration is done at build time.  if the
default mhshow-show-text/html entry pointed to a helper script, rather
than to a specific browser, that script could search for and run an
appropriate browser at run-time, probably using the same list we
currently look through at build time.

(how do pre-built nmh packages handle this?  simply with dependencies
on the necessary text browsers?  if we were to provide our own simple
renderer as lyndon suggests, those dependencies could become
suggestions.)

paul